Monday, December 12, 2011

Discipline? In writing?

Even before the early inhabitants of the world learned to speak, they have already communicated through writing symbols on the stones, caves, trees and etc.. And over the last thousand years up to the present, the process of writing is improving continuously giving us the access to express our thoughts, ideas and ourselves in a variety of ways.

Hence, as humans, we need to learn these variety of ways since writing is an invisible link that connects us all in a very unique way. As they say, writing is an outlet of our expression that cannot be expressed verbally. In accordance with the degree I'm pursuing, i have to know all the things that are inter-related to writing. I need to be acquainted with what writing is all about. Above all, I need and I have to know what writing in the discipline is all about.

Writing in the discipline? How?

It's the very first question that came into my mind because since I was in elementary and in high school, the things that accustomed myself about writing are: writing compositions have three paragraphs which are the introduction, body and the conclusion; that writing composition should be correctly indented; and that it should have proper. It never came into my consciousness that there is discipline in writing. But what is writing in the discipline anyway?

Unknowingly, I answered  my own question. I presumably said to myself that it is writing with discipline, as in literally! I even thought that students have to write with a straight sitting position, that students have to write legibly, but all that presumptions are wrong. And it was just a few days ago that I knew what writing in the discipline is really all about.

Writing in the discipline is writing a composition where we follow a set of standards. It's writing where we need to create a formal written composition that has the qualities of a well-written paragraph such as unity, coherence, emphasis and order. It's writing where we follow the basic steps of writing and it's writing in the discipline.

So to speak honestly, I have this thought in my head that I won't be able to seize and comprehend completely what this course subject is about unless I sink myself into it. Unless I study it and most of all, unless I learn it.

For you, what is writing in the discipline?

No comments:

Post a Comment